Exclusively Shiffler is now The Sleepy Time Gal

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.thesleepytimegal.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

No-Sew Bulletin Boards

This is a gift I love to make for people, and this season, some special nieces' new bedrooms. They are bulletin boards, but much more attractive than those cork ones.

They can be hung in living areas, like the above board in my home, which I keep recent photos and invitations hung on. This variation uses ribbon and buttons to secure mementos.

I'm going to show you how to make this more simplistic variation which I'm slightly partial to these days.

Supplies:

preferred size canvas
batting (sized to cover the frame of the canvas' back)
fabric (ditto)
staple gun
ribbon for trim
push pins

Place the fabric wrong side up, then the batting, then the canvas front squarely. Now you're looking at the back of the canvas. Begin stapling the length of one side, leaving about an inch from the corners.

Continue around all four sides pulling the fabric taut before stapling.

For the corners, peel back the fabric and snip off the excess batting.

Pull the fabric taut and staple down the corner.

I like to staple one piece of coordinating ribbon to draw the eye to something--you artists know about the golden third. Now add a handful of push pins (I actually use long sewing pins because they push through the canvas easily and stay well.)

There you have it: a great gift for any room of a house. And children love these to keep photos, drawings, and little treasures.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's a great idea. I love it! You may have just inspired me to create!

Nicole said...

you're amazing.

zeeny said...

ok, I asked for no sew and now I got it!!! I better make one of these! I'll let you know how it goes! Might not be until the new year though! Thanks for the fun idea!

Emily said...

I love your creative ideas!!!

Erica said...

Didn't you have one of these in your room in Hinckley Hall our freshman year? Love it!

Ann said...

yay! I just happen to have an extra canvas lying around!

Meredith said...

Brady would love it if we made him one of these to keep all of his finds (leaves, feathers, pictures) in. It looks great!

I wanted to let you know that I posted about your lovely Gift Guide on my blog today: http://bit.ly/6y6ofO . I hope you like it. Thanks for letting me!